Vegan Ricotta: (from The Vegan’s Club)
1 cup almonds
14 oz tofu
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1. Boil water in a small sauce pan
2. once water is boiling, put almonds in the boiling water for 2 minutes
3. Drain the tofu and squeeze/pat most of the water out
4. Drain and rinse the boiled almonds in cold water
5. Put almonds in a kitchen cloth and peel skin off the almonds.
6. Place the skinned almonds, tofu, almond milk, & spices in a food processor or blender and blend until relatively smooth.
1 large eggplant or 2 small, sliced 1/4 in. thick, length wise
3 cups spinach, wilted.
1/2 cus Quick Delicious Tomato Sauce
Tomatoes, sliced (optional)
Vegan Ricotta (see above) - recipe above will give you quite a bit of extra, keep it in mind for meal planning!
Vegan Mozzarella for top of rollatini for baking.
Quick Delicious Tomato Sauce:
1 can tomato sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/8 cup water
small tomatoes (optional)
place all ingredients in small sauce pan and bring to boil, use immediately
1 Preheat the over to 350 degrees
2 Make the ricotta.
3. Put the eggplant on a large pan on the stove and cook both sides briefly until eggplant is soft.
4. Once eggplant is finished, take spinach and rinse, toss spinach onto the hot pan until wilted (apx 1-2 min)
5. Begin “stuffing” the eggplant:
Spread sauce or vegan pesto (I bought this at Trader Joes) lightly on one side of the eggplant.
Place a dollop of the the tofu ricotta on the wider side of the cooked eggplant along with a little spinach and maybe some small tomato slices & roll.
6. Place the Rolled eggplant in a baking dish & bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes
7. remove from oven and pour the extra tomato sauce on top, optional: add “cheese” lightly on top: vegan mozzarella (trader joes block or almond shredded mozzarella)
8. Place the oven on Broil and broil for apx 5 minutes until the cheese is browned.
9. Sprinkle with Basil & serve!